This photograph was taken last year during my final performance art production. Believe it or not, behind the spinning skirt and flying hair are hours of study and rehearsal in the art of ballroom dance. I was asked once if I was actually dancing in this photo, or if my dance partner had a hand in helping me to gracefully trip over my own feet. I replied that it was his feet I was tripping over, if that is indeed what I was doing, since he was the leader of the entire situation anyway! But in all seriousness, this is a single moment captured in a Latin Salsa routine, a fast-paced dance that is both physically and mentally demanding on dancers.
I had difficulty making a choice between this dance photo, and one that shows my partner and me in the more traditional ballroom dance pose in which each figure is an image of poise and grace. I certainly would like to portray an image of poise and grace, but this photo more accurately depicts who I am.
First, where am I? Just outside the food court in SUB, here on campus; one of the less conventional places to have a ballroom dance production to be sure. I fought to maintain my composure as the music was queued at the beginning of our production, and my confidence in our abilities waned as the butterflies in my stomach threatened to get the better of me. But as I felt the pull of the music I was reminded that true confidence is not accurately measured by an A+ in “Apt Fulfillment of Customary Expectations”. My confidence is found in my ability to perform under the pressures of unconventional situations; to steadily hold a neighbor’s eye when questioned.
Second, what am I? A ballroom dancer, yes. But more accurately, I am a portrayal of the dedication and commitment it takes to become a reflection of my partner’s leadership. After being greatly involved in dance for four years, I can say with confidence that it takes as much skill for a lady to follow as it does for a man to lead. Ballroom dance requires partners to move their feet at the same time or risk serious injury, so it is no wonder that one partner is given leadership, and the other partner chooses to trust that leadership. Watching a dancing couple one might think that they are governed by the tempo of the music to which they dance. But as we dance, my movements are almost completely an echo of the subtle signals my partner gives me through changes in his posture. By letting him take the lead, I choose to trust his technique and direction, and add to it my knowledge and skill to create an expression of beauty that can be shared with others.
Finally, why choose a photograph that lacks the sharp focus expected for a reflection of either a portrait or of such a structured art? I have always found an unparalleled joy in movement. It has taken four years and seventeen room mates to learn the value of constant flexibility, and the benefit of change. Suffice it to say that some experiences have threatened to bend my will beyond the point of breaking, but I have learned that the beauty of movement is difficult to see in a single moment.
Encapsulated in this photograph are hundreds of experiences woven together with the intricacy of a spider’s web. The thread of dance is distinct in my life, just as this picture captured a moment in my dancing career. But one thread and one image are inseparable from the bigger picture: a portrait of my confidence, a reflection of my trust in the guidance of others, and my commitment to constant flexibility.
0 comments:
Post a Comment