Monday, January 21, 2008

Lots of Changes, Lots of Prayer

Dearest Friends and Family,

Since Christmas I have had many days to panic about the endless possibilities the future is holding out before me, and equally as many reminders to trust God with the outcome. It has not been an easy, or even enjoyable, walk these last few weeks, but I am blessed to have each of you supporting and encouraging me, and my Best Friend walking beside me each day.

Last Monday I began working short lunch-hour shifts serving at Boston Pizza in the south end of Edmonton (near the school at which I did my last teaching practicum). After three short shifts with only 4 tables to call my own, I was called in for the Friday/Saturday night rushes, and my new serving skills were put to the test. Saturday night I worked a feverishly busy 5 pm – 2:30 am shift, and was well rewarded for my efforts through some decent tips and, more importantly, praise from my new boss.

Things began changing today… I took the day off work (at BP’s) to attend an Education Career Fair at the U of A, and came out with two serious job offers. Amazing, right?!?! Well, mostly… there is just the minor (okay, major) panic of the contracts beginning in only two short weeks, on January 31st, the beginning of the new grade school semester). That entails a LOT of decisions, planning, and potential relocating to be doing before then.

Would you please join me in prayer as I start walking these next two weeks? The final offer has not been made for either of these positions, but the in person, on the spot interview that happened today were very positive. I am to learn the school districts’ decisions before the end of the week, at which point I need to make a final decision. The job offers are as follows, if it is of interest to you. If not, skip down a couple paragraphs to catch up on the rest of the interesting stuff. ;)

Offer 1: Wild Rose School Division, West Central High School [Rocky Mountain House, AB]
- Full time position, cover for maternity leave until June 30.
- Classes: English 20-2, 10-1, and Language Arts 9

Offer 2: Holy Family Catholic Regional Division, Glenmary School [Peace River, AB]
- Full time position, cover for maternity leave until June 30. Possibility for extension of contract for September.
- English 10-1, Language Arts 7, LA 9, Health 7, Active Living 8 (anything active outside the school setting, ie: bowling, dance, laser tag, walks, etc), and “Green Room” (a daily homework block for extra help in any subject area).

Relocating is the biggest factor in my potential acceptance of either of these positions, and that is a somewhat daunting prospect. I have been settled in this house for going-on-four years, which has accumulated a LOT of stuff… mostly useful (like all the kitchen/living room/bedroom furniture, small appliances, dishes, etc), but cumbersome, none the less. It is such an odd feeling, going from aimless, to considering uprooting my life over night. I guess that’s what I get for praying for some kind (any kind) of direction!

Over our Christmas break, Dad and I (with much encouragement and help from Mom) “renovated” the basement, and finally unearthed the wood shop that has been hiding since we moved into the house, well, a long time ago. J It was fun and exciting to work and experience the transformation, framing walls, running electrical wires, putting up drywall, plastering, painting, and finally moving benches and saws into place. Though not quite complete, it is now a functional shop where any number of projects can now take place!!



Yesterday I met up with a girlfriend, and we spent the afternoon chatting and walking down Whyte Avenue in Edmonton. The Christmas displays have been replaced by Valentines hearts in shop windows, but the snow still squeaks underfoot with the cold weather, and the frost from your breath coats the inside of your scarf, and makes you look 80 years old when it turns your eyebrows and eye lashes thick and white.

Our walk started at Starbucks for chai lattes, and a slow walk through Chapters. We braved the cold and walked through Edmonton’s Ice Festival, enjoyed watching kids, being kids, and eating hot mini donuts from the concession stand. Not to mention, on our tour through the ice castile we both found the loves of our lives… knights in shining armor. Okay, they might be a little cold toward us now, but they’ll come around!



We each took a turn sliding down the Ice Slide with kids half our size, and bemoaned our frosty backsides all the way home.



A movie and roast beef dinner warmed us inside, and finished the weekend off in regal style.



I have little else to catch y’all up on, but hopefully that’s an enjoyable tidbit. Thank you to all of you for your encouragement (Uncle Bill Young for your wonderful, encouraging cards, Brad for your thoughts and hugs when I’m in Calgary, David for the reminder to stay on track, Mom and Dad for prayers and long talks, and too many more to mention). You are such a blessing.

I hope and pray that you feel Christ near, even as the warmth of Christmas is overcome by the chill of winter. My thoughts, prayers, and love are with you all.

Jessica

2 comments:

Lloyd & Sharon said...

Hi, Jess--
Your dad and I were just chatting over your future (among other things!)at the end of last week in the post office; how quickly things can happen!

I will pray that God will lead you very definitely ("Hit me over the head with a hammer so I know"--that's sometimes what I ask for myself!), and things will fall into place in His time, according to His plan, for His job for you. He will show you what He wants you to do. Keep walking!

Love,
Auntie Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know that girl! That was a great day and I must say that I'm thrilled to have made it onto your blog. I'm so excited that God is marking out your path before you. Next visit to Edmonton? If you need to escape to Red Deer for a weekend let me know and I'll meet you there.
Love you,
Bethany