Monday, July 14, 2008

Galatea Lakes - Kananaskis Country

After an awesome weekend of hanging with friends, the group the spent the night in our front yard split into two groups. Actually, it was more like one group with two deserters.

Pat and I hit up the Lillian and Galatea Lakes Trail Sunday afternoon... breathtaking is one of a few words that crossed my mind that day. I was dually challenged that afternoon. First, it was a decently steep trail. Second, Pat set a steady 120 pace for the majority of the treck, though I must say he was very patient with my frequent stops on the last 0.5 of the 8 km trail. The top of the treck was rewarded with amazing views of Kid Mountain and the three lakes (Lillian, Lower Galatea, and Upper Galatea).





Some wild flowers no larger than a toonie near the top of the hike. How those little flowers survive while only meters from perma-snow I have no idea.


Glacier lakes is a fact, not a fantacy. Amazingly enough, there was a pack on the trail with scuba gear... we saw the diver enter! Brrr.
The summit photo didn't look like the summit, but we were on one edge of a giant bowl that held in the small Upper Galatea Lake behind us. No further trecking was possible without a megga scramble.
Pat: Look! Jess: At... what? Oh, I get it.




"Caving"... for about 3 feet.

Snow in July! Sweet!

0 comments: