I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs – how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world – how he can please his wife – and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world – how she can please her husband. I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord. [1 Corinthians 7:32-25]
An interesting question by a man I respect was something to the effect of, “How many active Christian men and women do you know over the age of 35?” Upon consideration, I realized I know far more women in their thirties, forties, fifties, and beyond who are actively seeking and acting upon the calling of the Lord than I do men. That is not in any way to praise the women or devalue the men. It is simply an observation of the people around me.
Perhaps the reason it even makes a dent in my consciousness that I wish to understand this phenomenon is that I am not very far from that formidable 35 mark. Okay, more than a decade, but still... how is it said? The ball rolls faster downhill than up? How absolutely devastating would it be to finally find “freedom and independence” (a refrain I spouted and hear from my students frequently) and give it away to boredom and complacency?
Take contemporary society and modern translational errors out of the picture; I think Paul has a point. Why not use the generous offerings of youthfulness, creativity, and just a touch of insanity to blow open the confines of security and stability and be concerned about the Lord’s work? Exactly. You’re pickin’ up what I’m layin’ down (quote from Chad Mac).
0 comments:
Post a Comment