Monday, March 02, 2009

#37: Shape Cakes

What love, time, care and evidence of thought is shown in such a simple thing as a shape cake! As a child, just as Christmas tree ornaments reflected something of the year past, birthday cakes revealed a treasured item or favorite fairy tale character. I remember most distinctly Peter Pan (for he was truly my first crush), and Barbie Cinderella, who stood in all her spongy angel food skirted glory. She must have been graced in all her pink sugar rosebud glory for my 10th birthday, because I also remember Mr. Bear Junior showing up on the scene, a loved (but not quite beloved) childhood companion.

For my twenty fourth birthday I had the joy of spending the evening, and a marvelous pot luck dinner, with a dozen new Rocky friends. Two new and dear friends gave me my dream, albeit in a shape cake: a Honda CBR 600 RR, the streetbike I literally (it is true) dream about! The raucous that could be heard from the laundry room was entertaining even before the singing, candles, and sparklers (which had been randomly igniting in the laundry room) arrived.

To top of a fantastic week with friends, guitar night was graced with a second shape cake made by our lovely, then unemployed, very bored friend. I didn’t imagine that, “Lasagna and guitar at 6?” would turn into guitar for dessert at 6. Gotta love the humor. What would life be without it?

0 comments: